District Court FAQ


Do you have forms to complete to file for divorce, protection order, name change, etc.?

The Nebraska Supreme Court has authorized forms available on their website, www.supremecourt.ne.gov/self-help/. There are numerous forms available for District Court and County Court.

We recommend you seek the advice of legal counsel if you have questions about completing the forms. If you cannot afford an attorney, you may contact Legal Aid Society at 1-877-250-2016 or their website, www.nebls.com. If you have a criminal case, you may be entitled to court representation through the public defender. Contact this office for a Financial Affidavit.

Are criminal or civil records searches done?

The Clerk of District Court’s records are public information, however, our office will not complete the search. We will direct you to the records. Records from November of 1999 are available through a one-time search or subscription to the Nebraska JUSTICE online access at www.supremecourt.ne.gov/court-information-tech/justice-subscriber-info.shtml. Criminal history can be obtained from the State Patrol for a fee www.statepatrol.nebraska.gov/FormsYouMayNeed.aspx.

How far back do your records go for the purpose of genealogy research?

The records of the Clerk of District Court date back to the 1880s.  The naturalization documents have been transferred to the Cedar County Historical Society which can be contacted at 1-402-254-6597 or email at cchistory@hartel.net.

Do you accept passport applications?

Yes we are authorized acceptance agents. Applications and information are available at the U.S. Department of State website, www.travel.state.gov/. If you need to obtain a certified birth certificate from Nebraska, you may do so online at www.hhs.state.ne.us/vitalrecords/.. If you need to obtain a certified birth certificate from South Dakota, you can go to the Register of Deeds office in Yankton, South Dakota or www.vitalcheck.com/south-dakota-express-vital-records.aspx.